Monday, December 10, 2007

1. How important is theme in what you write? Does a great piece of literature need to express an idea? Explain your thoughts on the matter using examples from things you've read. In your response, address the opposing viewpoint. (Write at least 100 words.)

Theme is the key to unlocking the doors of readers hearts. A great piece of literature needs to express and underlying idea to make people think and even change their ways. For example, The Great Gatsby satirically makes people open their eyes and through Gatsby and other characters the hearts of readers are brought into the text when the novel is able to display general follies of society itself. Themes make people reflect, contemplate, and introspectively understand their standpoint on the underlying morality.

2. Great works of literature can last a long time. Jane Austen's novels (including Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Sense and Sensibility) are still popular almost 200 years after they were first published. Anne Bradstreet's poems have survived about 400 years. The works of Greek playwright Euripides (who wrote Medea) have survived for over 2000 years. What do you think causes great literary works to live forever? Could you ever foresee yourself writing something that lasts that long? (Write at least 75 words.)

Personally, I feel that something that lasts forever beautifully collabrates on and creates a personal connotation, metaphorically seeing ourselves in the text. Literature is art. What makes a painting good? Blatant tallent and the emotion evoked and brought to life with the piece. I could definitely see myself writing something that could last that long, not right now though. If I could just develop my skills, I know I'de be able to tap into amazing works. I have the heart, I have the mind, I have the pen, I just need the ink.

3. If you could have one long-lasting impact on the world around you, what would you want it to be? Explain why that is important to you and how, as a writer, you could have the chance to make that impact. (Write at least 100 words.)

Through my words, I would like to influence people to open their eyes and grow up. I would like to somehow influence society in a way that could somehow change how they think and act. Like in my previous blog post, I want people to love for one another, not love soully to be loved. I know I have the heart to make big things happen, the true question is do I have the motivation and self confidence to defy society's grip. Through my words I can make an impact, words are a beautiful, yet merciless power. You can influence how people think, feel, act through personal expression. I have the power to unlock the door of peoples hearts.

2 comments:

Mr. Miles said...

I could see you writing something that would last forever. I agree that it just takes developing one's talent. When I look at what I wrote as a youth compared to what I write now, I can see how much I've grown. You'll have hat experience too.

I thought your reference to GATSBY was interesting. I think GATSBY has really survived because of the theme. To me, Fitzgerald's characters are so stylized that the theme rises above. I also think it's interesting because his theme is so relevant to today. Whenever I see anything about the Hiltons or Britney Spears, I always think about GATSBY.

NAT said...

I think you are a GREAT writer :) for real I love how you describe things..its so interesting .. I could for sure see a story by TCarr sitting on the desk of someone...300 years from now. I like how you said people should love not just to be loved. And i dont get what Mr. Miles was saying about britney and the hiltons in his comment.. haha what?