Monday, December 3, 2007

Release

1. What is something you see in your world that concerns you? This could be something among your peer group, something you see in America, or something you see in the world. What is your interpretation of this topic and why do you feel that way?

I am frustrated with the complete warped reality of today’s society. I am frustrated with this “subconscious tape” playing in every guy’s head of “I need to get the girl, no matter what, or else I am not a ‘real’ man”, and this “subconscious tape” playing in the minds of girls saying “I have to do what ever I can to be seen”. It plays in my head, and I’m sure it plays in yours. I try to tune it out as much as I can, but it will always be playing in the back of my head. It creates a sense of complete disrespect for the opposite sex and an immature selfishness within everyone. They say that little boys are graduating from college these days. No one knows how to love, or respect another. Today’s society has lost the truth of what it means to be a Real Man.



2. What is one dynamic personality you have either known personally or know about? Describe the person (feel free to use a made up name if desired) and explain what makes him/her dynamic. Include any specific examples if you can.

The personality of “Cool-Kat” has frustrated me for years. He has always been an acquaintance of mine, but deep down I have always had an unspoken deceit towards Cool-Kat. To be blunt, he is everything I described in question 1. He is basically a disrespectful, cold self-indulged slob. No moral basis what so ever. I mean I may act out every once in a while with disrespect to speak up for an opinion I have, but Cool-Kat belligerently cuts into people around him, constantly to be funny. It’s not really the fact that he cuts into people around him, people don’t have to take it personally and usually don’t but how he acts upon others. He has never maintained a true-relationship in high school, cheating on every single girl. He basically spits in peoples faces and laughs. He has always been nice to me, but I have never been able to stand Cool-Kat deep down. I risked our friendship when I told his girlfriend how he’d been getting around, but he still holds no beef towards me. Even with all this hurt and blatant disrespect, he still remains Cool-Kat and a popular slob who goes on strutting through the halls spitting in innocence face.



3. What is one piece of art (painting, movie, book, song, whatever) that has greatly inspired you? What is that piece and what about it has inspired you? Explain in detail.

This song has inspired me to just go with life and not look back. I can spend my time worrying about everyone else’s permission, or I can just live. I can experience life, love and happiness on my own. Living, Loving, and Enjoying this time we have without the influential hardening of everyone else.

“Coconut Skins”
By Damien Rice

You can hold her hand
and show her how you cry
Explain to her your weakness so she understandsands
then roll over and die
or you can brave decisions
before you crumble up inside
Spend your time asking everyone else's permission
then run away and hide

You can sit on chimneys
put some fire up your ass
No need to know what you're doing or waiting for
but if anyone should ask..
Tell them I've been lickin' coconut skins
and we've been hanging out
Tell them god just dropped by to forgive our sins
and relieve us our doubt...
La la la la la...

You can hold her eggs
but your basket has a hole
You can like between her legs and go looking for..
Tell her you're searchin' for her soul
You can wait for ages
Watch your compost turn to coal
but time is contagious
Everybody's getting old

So you can sit on chimneys,
Put some fire up your ass
No need to know what you're doing or looking for,
but if anyone should ask...
Tell them i've been lickin' coconut skins
and we've been hanging out
tell them God just dropped by to forgive our sins
and relieve us our doubt
La la la la la...

2 comments:

NAT said...

I definately agree with the whole thing about girls going to a certain level of "being seen". I really think guys should have more respect for the women in their lives. On the other hand, women shouldn't throw themselves at guys just to get noticed. It works both ways and it is hard to change that with the society we live in.

Mr. Miles said...

"Cool-Kat" sounds interesting. Look at his subtext. Is he saying, "I'm so awesome" or "I want others to think I'm awesome"? I don't want to say too much because it could be someone in my class (and I don't know if people reading this blog would know the person--if so, maybe delete my comments), but I think people outwardly try to compensate for their insecurities. I recently got a magazine from my alma mater (meaning the college I graduated from), and there was a story in there about this guy who was so hurting inside, he did so much to deal with his hurt inside that he spent thousands upon thousands of dollars trying to impress people and earn their love, then wound up getting AIDS from a girlfriend. He has since sought counselling and started a foundation to help people, but it took him a lot of bad choices to get there.

But don't you think it is that image in #1 that prevents people from opening up to others as well? The guy from my college probably never would have opened up to anyone because he wanted to be a "Real Man." Perhaps our reaction to others' expectations of us (perceived and real ones) is a bigger problem than we realize.

See, your writing led me into thinking an adjacent idea. :)